Old 08-12-2003, 05:13 AM
mg

Default Vandas in SH was Rhynchostylis care questions

I have a couple vanda-like things in SH. They have sort of climbed up
out of the pot, but seem very happy to do so.

J Fortuna wrote:
Since I really enjoy Web research, and I love to find out more about
different orchid types that I had never heard of before, couldn't resist
looking for this one. The simplified answer I got from a preliminary Web
search seems to be "Rhynchostylis will tolerate care that is just like a
Vanda's only less light." In answer to your question about s/h culture, I
went to First Rays' site (http://www.firstrays.com/hydro.htm) and noticed
the following statement that I think applies here "I've not had the guts to
try tolumnias or vandaceous orchids as yet, but I'll get there eventually. "

A few links on Rhynchostylis ca

Do a Find on "Rhynchostylis" in the following page to get to the paragraphs
on care of the 3 types, further down the page:
http://www.bribieislandorchidsociety...ews_may_03.htm

There seem to be more culture sheets for Rhynchostylis giganthea out there
than for either of the other two, so if you have a giganthea, here are some
culture sheets specific to it:
http://www.orchidculture.com/COD/FREE/FS998.html
http://dahliafarm.com/orchids/zgr15.htm

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message

Which Rhynchostylis? We treat gigantea rather differently than we treat
coelestis, and haven't yet tried retusa.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
"Sarah Huff" wrote in message
et...

Hi everyone! I just acquired a rhynchostylis and would like some tips

on

caring for it. I know it should stay moist, but what type of medium

does

it

prefer? Will it grow well in s/h? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sarah