Old 08-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default not a Mystery Plant - Alpinia zerumbet

Don't be such a prissy fusspot for a pod person passing as a nobody from
nowhere.
Just playing, gingerbread.

Yeah, Alpinia zerumbet is easy to propagate.
If you did indeed check out the links provided, you would see its a noxious
weed!!!

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week064.shtml

http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/i...nia_zerumbet_t
humbnails.htm

http://www.kobakoba.co.uk/alpinia%20zerumbet.htm

http://dynamics.org/~altenber/PROJECTS/ALPINIA/

GregR wrote in message
Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Those ARE the flowers, you knucklehead.

The whitish "pods" are actually the flower buds.
Flowers that are bird pollinated do not open widely.

I never claimed to be a gardener, but I'm definitely willing to learn. Up

now my only experience has been with container citrus, palms, and the

like. I
inherited this stuff from the people who used to live here.

Its a "Shell Ginger", Alpinia zerumbet.
Its a very common plant in cultivation in the tropics and subtropics,
invasive and a potential weed.

Thanks for the links and the info, I assume since it's considered an

"invasive
plant" in Hawaii that it's fairly easy to propagate? I wouldn't mind

having one
for my own when I move out of here in a year or so.

Now you get back to all those "authorities" in your SoCal neighborhood

that
didn't know what it was and straighten them out. Its should have been in

one
of your garden books.

Thanks for the info, despite your semi-abrasive attitude... ;-)

--

GregR