Old 10-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Gurrie

Default How to get rid of couch

Yeah. I was thinking of something similar. Water restrictions are a bit of
an issue though.

"Dover3211" wrote in message
om...
"Gurrie" wrote in message

I am turning some of m,y lawn into garden areas for shrubs and bushes

etc.

Cut the turf out today using a turf cutter as it was going into someone
else's yard.

What should I now be doing to prepare the area? I was going to rotary

hoe
it and combine it with some mushroom compost but I am concerned about

the
existing couch roots that remain and I fear that they will grow back in
amongst the new plants.

I plan to put down weed mat but I know that it is 100% fail safe with

weeds
so I guess couch will be able to grow back through this stuff.

What should I do? Put down plastic instead of or with the weed mat?
Something else altogether?

Thanks,

Craig

You could always give it a good water to encourage the couch to grow,
and then give it a quick spray with herbicide. It may mean you won't
be able to have your garden bed up and going straight away, but you
will have less grass amongst the plants without having to search
through for all those roots.

Ben

http://www.directedfocus.com.au/gardening