Old 24-01-2003, 09:16 PM
molly malone

Default super tough orchids

geography lesson:
scotts valley is next to santa cruz...santa cruz is part of the monterey bay
coastline.
not anywhere close to sacramento which is most definitely inland! ;-)

i grew over 100 cymbidium orchids in pots on my back deck in santa cruz for
10 years. they flourished w/ very little care other than heavily watering
every week except in summer when i'd water every couple of days.
fertilized lightly every 2 weeks and kept them very potbound in medium bark
w/ vermiculite & charcoal added to the mix. only repotted every two years &
they bloomed twice a year, like clockwork.
regarding freezing weather - we'd hang sheets & plastic tarps over all the
benches whenever a cold snap was predicted...never lost an orchid in all
those years!