Old 12-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Al

Default Allergies to orchids (was: This Orchid Stinks)

I went through this with a pollen-allergic person too. She swore it was
pollen and not something else that the plants gave off as part of their
fragrance. She said she had been tested. She could not be persuaded to
calm down in the presence of orchids even after being shown physical proof
that orchids do not have air borne pollen particles. She seemed to get
'reactive' whenever she even *saw* a flower. I also know for a sneaky fact
that orchid fragrance from a hidden plant and the presence of unknown
pollinia blobs had no effect. It was visual proximity to a flower.

So, Molli, do not give up hope; you may still be able to clear out a few
rooms. Orchid do illogical things to people's brains. They attract some of
us beyond reason and they seem to be able to repel people at will when it
suits them.

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Molli,

I had this argument with a roommate once. If your family members are
allergic to pollen and have a knee-jerk reaction to any floral scent as an
indicator of pollen, then tell them to calm down about orchids. As we

know,
orchids do not have any airborne pollen for people to breathe into their
sinuses; they instead contain solid pollen masses called pollinia. So, any
pollen-allergic people are quite safe around a fragrant orchid. (or
non-fragrant one!)

-Eric in SF

"molli" wrote in message
news
30 spikes...sigh... and here I was happy my little one has four spikes

about
ready to open! I just love the fragrance on this one, and could fill my
whole house with them...but then my allergic family members would have

move out...wait..that's not such a bad idea...all those rooms I would

have
for orchids......