Old 13-12-2003, 06:32 AM
coelacanth

Default Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting

I just this week gave up on the "Siesta" approach. I found that
the algae was growing better with a 3 hour blackout mid-day.
My (wild assed) guess is that since the algae is on the front,
closest (though perpendicular to) a window several meters
away, it go sufficient illumination and access to nutrients while
the vascular plants were "sleeping". In any case, the return of a
normal 12 hour cycle has encouraged a burst of activity by
my ottos.

-coelacanth

P.S. I've since looked at some of the discussion of using a
"siesta" and I must say I doubt that there is convincing
evidence to support the "slow algal photosynthesis"
theory that's being asserted.

"Amit" wrote in message
Mmm....
I tried is as well and read in many places the a 'Siesta' of photo period

is
bad for Algae and would not effect your plants.... So have I read... And
tried for about 2 weeks... didn't help at all.
I recommend 10 -12 hours a day. I also run a low light tank.... So it is
also a matter of experience..
"JHudson" wrote in message
Hi
I was reading somewhere that to help fight algae you can turn your

lights
off 2-3 hours in the middle of the day. Has anybody done this? Any
experiences good or bad? Also regarding length, I read anywhere from

10hrs
to 15hrs a day for a tank. My tank is low light(just under 2

watts/gallon)
and was wondering is there anything that would help me decide the number

of
hours I should have it on.
Thanks

--