Old 14-12-2003, 10:02 PM
The Q

Default Low Voltage Lighting

"Kevin Ashcroft" wrote in message
Apologies in advance of this is an inappropriate place
to post this question, however here I go.

I have recently purchased some low voltage lights from a DIY shop.

There are 6 lights linked by 15m of low voltage cable
which connects into a black transformer.

I have outside power sockets which this transformer plugs into,
however, the instructions tell you not to leave the transformer
outside. It should be inside the house or in a garden shed.

This is a pain as I have to disconnect and bring the transformer inside
everytime I am finished using it.

It seems crazy that lights purchased for outdoor use come with
a transformer which cannot sit outside.

Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside or
does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the
transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

It's not the tramsformer as such that needs protecting (unless unusually

yours is not sealed) but you need to stop rain getting into the socket while
the transformer is plugged in. So you need to cover the entire Socket and
protect it. What I've done is to fix a tupperware type box with the socket
inside it, the transformer lead runs into it from the bottom (a small slot)
then the lid clicked back on.

the Q