Old 16-12-2003, 06:32 PM
Dilip Barman

Default Scientific name for Watermelon Radish?

(Dilip Barman) wrote in message om...
aka: Rose Heart Radish, Beauty Heart Radish, Red Daikon

Does anybody know the scientific name for this lovely radish? Would
it be something like "Raphanus sativus 'Watermelon'"? Thanks!

--Dilip

Thanks to both Iris (Iris, I'm sorry - I did do a number of google and
other searches but didn't find the answer - the closest I got was a
reference to Raphanus sativus 'Beauty Heart'; please visit
www.dilip.info -- I teach an advanced search class and my home page
www.dilip.info has my course notes FYI) for

Raphanus sativus 'Shinrimei'

and to Micah for

Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus 'Watermelon'

How can I find out definitively whether it is a Chinese radish (var.
longipinnatus) or not? In general, is there a source for looking up
scientific names online? I like to annotate my still life photography
with scientific names - you can see some of my work at

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=253625

(and click on my name to see my other folders of pictures). Thanks to
all, and best wishes for a happy and peaceful 2004!

Dilip