Old 17-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Dilip Barman

Default Scientific name for Watermelon Radish?

"Micah J. Mabelitini" wrote in message ...

'Shinrimei' does appear to be the original Chinese name of the cultivar,
so I'd go with it. I did a bit of research and it looks like Raphanus
sativus var. longipinnatus is now obsolete, in favor of R. sativus var.
niger (according to the ARS-GRIN database at least).

Micah Mabelitini

Thanks, Micah. "Raphanus sativus 'Shinrimei'" it is then - but I wish
I could find it more easily. I did find this name mentioned at
http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/comcach.htm. Thanks!

--Dilip

P.S. By the ARS-GRIN database, do you mean
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxgenform.pl ? I can't
search on specific common name varieties there, but can find general
information there.