Old 18-12-2003, 07:04 PM
dave weil

Default (no subject)

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:43:43 -0500, Venu Shelat
wrote:

I have roses in pots. two english, three floribunds & two
hybrids. Live in zone 8b. & was out sick during the fall.
So my roses got neglected & they have no protection from the cold right
now. What can I do to save them still?
BRing them to my garage? Patio? cover with burlap? mulch? Do I water
them? Do I prune or save it ffor the spring?

This is my first year with roses so please help.

Thanks

Have you got ground that you can put them in? If so, I'd suggest doing
that. You can always give them back out in the spring.

If all of the branches are dry and brittle, it might be too late, but
if the branches still have some flexibility, or you're seeing new
growth, then it's not too late.

In 8b, you don't have to offer much protection at all though. If you
have an occasional light frost, all you might do is toss a little
burlap or blanket around the pot for the night. You really might not
even have to do that if it's just a light frost. What you don't want
is for the root ball to freeze and this is unlikely in 8b, even with a
quick frost. Maybe someone else can weigh in?

More important than temperatures in your zone is watering. You
probably shouldn't let them dry completely out, even in winter. Keep
in mind that this means at least weekly waterings (probably).