Old 20-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Starlord

Default Low Voltage Lighting

Help Save the Dark Skys, Turn OFF the Lights.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Gavin Wheeler" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:19:32 -0000, "Kevin Ashcroft"
wrote:

Apologies in advance of this is an inappropriate place
to post this question, however here I go.

I have recently purchased some low voltage lights from a DIY shop.
[...]
I have outside power sockets which this transformer plugs into,
however, the instructions tell you not to leave the transformer
outside. It should be inside the house or in a garden shed.

[...]
Can you purchase transformers which will happily sit outside or
does anyone know of a small enclosure I could purchase, which the
transformer can sit inside quite happily and be protected?

You can get transformers which will sit outside, but you would have to
be certain that it gave exactly the right power supply. Easy enough if
you read the specs on the side of the thing, but you would probably
have to accept that the warranty would be void as you were not using
the 'approved' power supply.

I have seen enclosures that look like a green plastic rugby ball.
These are designed to fit around the socket end of power extension
cords, so you run the extension out into the garden, plug in
[whatever], then clip the rugby ball around the plug+socket to (more
or less) waterproof the assembly. If your transformer will fit inside
these things, that would probably do the trick - frost might be a
problem, but I suspect the real issue is that the transformer is not
guaranteed waterproof.

(I saw these enclosures in the Brondesbury park garden centre in
Cardigan, Wales, but I doubt that is convenient for you!)
Please remove "brain." before emailing me.
"Thtrap it to the bench and put a good thick bolt of lightning through
it, that'th our motto. That'th how you /tetht/ thomething!"
- Igor

---