Old 27-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Susan Erickson

Default Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:55:52 +0900, Caren wrote:

I acquired a Zygopetalum mackayi about three years ago. I got it for
free from someone who had received it as a gift and then left it to
languish on her desk for a few months. It was near dead but after some
tender care it finally bloomed. It was beautiful, it was exotic, it
smelled heavenly, and it only bloomed for about two weeks. The orchids I
normally grow (mostly phals) bloom for months without quitting. I was
wondering if this short bloom time is normal or if it was shortened
because the plant was kept too warm. It was at normal home temperature
but I understand Zygopetalums prefer cooler temps. Also, now that the
plant has been brought back to health, can I expect regular bloom?

Thanks

If you bloomed it once I would expect you to be able to bloom it
again. A few plants will bloom just before dying. But this does
not sound like a dying plant. Yes, Zygos have a fairly short
bloom time. It can be extended if the plant has several spikes
and does not open the flowers all the same day. As the plant gets
larger you will get leads going off other locations and multiple
spikes. As much as I love the exotic look and the heavy perfume,
the perfume wears on my allergies and I are happy the blooms do
not last.

SuE