Old 28-12-2003, 08:32 AM

Default DIY substrate heating & a couple other things

(Bob) wrote in message . com...
I've been reading the Resler-Behle paper (at the Krib) on DIY
substrate heating and I'm about ready to make that leap. The
compressed CO2 tank is up & running, though I'm giving serious
consideration to linking it to a controller rather than just having it
bubble 24/7. And brand and online source/retailer recommendations?

I noticed that a few folks had concerns about the wires used for
substrate heating deteriorating or breaking over time. To minimize
issues with having to tear up the aquarium and restart if that
happens, I thought it might make sense to run four sets of parallel
wires along the PVC piping, with one being your working set and the
other three as backup sets. I would think you could space them out
reasonably well on 1/2" pipe. Any reason this doesn't make sense or
is a bad idea? I really don't want to tear down the tank more than
once.

Also, I've been looking around for Dupla products online in the USA
and I'm not having an awful lot of luck. Any good sources/online
retailers that you folks have experience with? I noticed that
floridadriftwood.com had them, and the prices for the Dupla heating
cables and all are a lot of the reason that I'm planning on going the
DIY route.

Thank you so much in advance,

Bob
Ontario, California

Bob,
I'd pass on the controller and the cable things.
I'd really be surprised to see anything suggesting that plants really
grow optimally passed what diffusion alone provides.
Tropica also mirrors this assertion, they are growers, not makers of
cables.
They have and I have less interest in pawning anything to the public
besides growing plants/plants etc.

A pH monitor is nice to see at a glance what the CO2 level is.
But a needle valve is good "controller".
Amano does not have any issues FWIW, neither do I.

A properly set up CO2 system does dany without any controller.

I've used Dupla, Sandpoint etc, built my own cables(4 sets) for a
number of years.

I cannot in all honesty say they are worth it.

If you have money to burn, they will NOT hurt, but it will not make
any tank or break any tank.

Regards,
Tom Barr