Old 28-01-2003, 01:44 AM
Andrew

Default super tough orchids

"gal" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I came back from Portugal where I saw many Cymbidium being grown
outside. They where every where most of them exposed to direct sun. We
also had a few mornings of frost. Can these orchids be treated as
normal garden plants, and how come they are so resilient - ie what is
there origin.

They are also very cheep over there costing about 10$ for a huge plant

Regards

Gal

Dave Short wrote:

Here in Scotts Valley, CA lots of people grow cymbidium using benign
neglect.

Same goes for Southern Australia. If the outside
temperatures are suitable most Cymbidium hybrids (and a lot
of species) are difficult to kill and if given good light
will flower profusely without much attention. They're built
like tanks. They'll survive low humidity, over and under
watering (although growth and flowering is affected) and
adapt to a variety of composts. Most of the problems with
these plants seem to result from indoor culture and low
light.
Andrew