Old 31-12-2003, 04:18 PM
kenty ;-\)

Default Humidity!

I agree trays don't raise the humidity that much ,but they make it easier to
maintain your plants when misting & watering + raising the humidity
slightly.I personally think it is going overboard sectioning off orchids in
the home,this can only look unsightly and will possibly lead to other
problems with pests & diseases.Especially if it is a very small space that
is being sectioned.It would need constant monitoring.
kenty
"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:20:05 -0500, "Claude"
wrote in Message-Id: :

What is the best percentage of humidity to grow Phal and Paph!

I just bought an hygrometer and it shows 40% of relative humidity. Is

this
good?

Increasing the relative humidity in your indoor grow area is going to
require a whole house humidifier, or you're going to have to enclose
the grow area with some clear/translucient impervious material such as
plastic film or plexiglass. If you are using free standing shelving,
you can make a plastic sheet cover for it and put an ultrasonic fogger
inside. This amounts to an inexpensive Warden Case. Here's a link to
commercially manufactured units:

http://www.carter-and-holmes.com/cgi...or+Greenhouses

Ultrasonic foggers http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html will
raise the realtive humidity in such an enclosed area to 100% very
quickly.

I find Phals grow fine in my home without suplemental humidity.
However providing a growing environment of 70% to 80% realitive
humidity seems to prevent wrinkled/pleated leaves, bud blasting, etc,
and encourage lush new growth in other genera.