Old 02-01-2004, 10:32 PM
David J Bockman

Default Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm")

Hi Dish,

If you have access to a digital camera, take a few photos, including
close-ups of the needles, and post them to alt.binary.pictures.gardens.

I doubt you want to become involved in ball & burlapping your trees, it's
back breaking work and not for the unskilled. Perhaps you could make
inquiries at a few wholesale or growing nurseries in your area-- they might
be interested in lifting them en masse, or in taking them as they need them
for a year or two. Much depends upon what type of trees they are.

Where is your property?

Dave

"Dish" wrote in message
om...
Hi, we're considering buying a few acres of land, and there is a grove
that has rows of pine trees (over 600) on the property that a previous
owner planted. They refer to it as a tree farm, even though the
property has not been used as a tree farm (the current owners are not
selling trees, and I don't think they ever have). This is in the
midwest.

I would prefer open land to rows of pine trees, so i've been
considering a couple options: 1) selling them in November/December as
Christmas trees ($20-$30 each), but when people cut them down i'll be
left with all the stumps in the ground, 2) selling the whole trees
with the root ball, etc. ($40-$50 each?)to landscapers, garden
centers, or straight to the public (but i'm not interested in starting
a business - much too busy), or 3) trying to find the time to run a
tree farm and selling trees myself and planting new ones, etc. -
although i'm sure there are countless tree farms already.

I also thought about donating some of them each year to places like
schools, etc. to use as Christmas trees, earning myself some tax
savings.

I would prefer to do something that would get rid of the trees within
3 years or so for future plans, as this grove is on the front/side of
the property and prohibits any future building or driveway there.

What I wanted to ask here is: 1) if anyone has any advice on all of
this before we buy, and/or 2) if anyone knows what type of maintenance
is involved with pine trees in keeping them healthy, etc. so I don't
end up with 600-700 dead or unhealthy trees a year from now.

I'm trying to find out what type of pine trees they are, and I hope
the current owners know that, because I think they were planted before
they owned the property.

Most of the trees range in height from 6-8 feet. Some are even taller.

Thanks so much,

- D

__
__