Old 03-01-2004, 04:33 AM
Jan Flora

Default Blood Meal and Mad Cow question for the group.

In article k.net,
"Lorenzo L. Love" wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

They don't make bone meal out of ruminant bones anymore, because
the steam process doesn't kill the BSE prions.

I don't know about blood meal. I'll ask my state veterinarian when I talk
to him and report back. (He's the one who told me it's safe to use bone
meal in the garden again.)

Jan

What do they make bone meal out of?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

³If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.²
Cicero

Ground up bones! Before Mad Cow disease hit, they ground up cow bones.
They probably grind up horse bones or something now. They're using bones
from animals that can't get BSE.

Jan