Old 04-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Jimmy

Default Types (or brands) of Sand in Freshwater aquarium

I am setting up a new tank and want to use a type of white or black sand for
my substrate. I am filling the tank with rain water from my cistern and am
wanting a soft water tank (since soft water can hold more CO2).

1. Can anyone give me the brand name of sand they have used safely in a
freshwater aquarium?

2. The owner of a LFS (in New Albany, IN) told me there was a brand of "Play
Sand" made by Seachem or at least it was the same product sold for aquarium
use, but much cheaper and used as children's play sand. Does anyone know the
brand name of this sand?

3. According to the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), The "Play Sand" sold
by Quikcrete may contain silica sand and/or lime stone. After reading the
MSDS and the dangers of inhaling silica dust causing permanent lung damage,
why would anyone let their children play with it? Can silica dust be
dangerous to any fish?

Any low cost sources of substrate would be of interest.......except Profile.
I have that one already.

Thanks,
Jim