Old 04-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Henriette Kress

Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

simy1 wrote:
Henriette Kress wrote

Rain. If strong enough it'll splatter mud up on plants; and if plants are
picked when it rains you'll get mud, too.

one more reason to mulch absolutely everything in the garden. and for
this reason alone I am planting seedlings for everything now, right
through the mulch, except for tatsoi and arugula. my greens are always
clean, though they were not in the past when I was direct seeding.

?? What's wrong with mud? In small amounts it's _good_ for you. Also,
mulch harbors things like snails ... far more icky than a bit of clean
dirt.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland