Old 05-01-2004, 06:42 PM
K. Elliot

Default Activated carbon in filter - will this remove the liquid iron fert I add to the tank?

Hello all.

I have a 55 gallon lightly planted tank with the following contents:

Fish consisting of:
- five bleeding heart tetras
- four long fin zebra danios
- four ottos
- one clown pl*co
- three Yoyo botias

Plants consisting of:
- anachris
- java moss
- lacey java fern
- amazon sword (which isn't doing all that well at this point)
- hyprophilia polysperma

I have 160 watts of flouresent lighting (light is on 9 hrs daily)

Here is my quick question. If I add liquid iron fert (LEAF ZONE) to
my tank, will the activated carbon in my filter remove it (in effect
nullifying the addition of the iron in the first place)??

I seem to continue to have an algae problem (although it is simply a
nuisance at this point) and added the carbon media in hopes it would
cut down on some of the nutrients that the algae are feeding on.
Should I just add more plants to my tank in hopes of the plants
outcompeting the algae for nutrients.

My ammonia & nitrites are zero. Nitrates are between 10-15ppm when I
do a weekly 20% water change. Ph is approx 7.0 - 7.2.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Sorry this post is so lenthy...just
wanted to make sure you had as much info as possible. Thanks again.

Kevin