Old 06-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Nwwise01

Default Activated carbon in filter - will this remove the liquid iron fert I add to the tank?

I seem to continue to have an algae problem (although it is simply a
nuisance at this point) and added the carbon media in hopes it would
cut down on some of the nutrients that the algae are feeding on.
Should I just add more plants to my tank in hopes of the plants
outcompeting the algae for nutrients.

Adding more plants would not solve the problem because these new plants would
not outcompete the algae for the same reason your old plants are not. Find out
why your old plants are not winning and correct this.

My ammonia & nitrites are zero. Nitrates are between 10-15ppm when I
do a weekly 20% water change. Ph is approx 7.0 - 7.2.

What are your nitrates before the water change? I'll wager they are higher
than the 10-15ppm you get. A healthy growing tank will suck nitrates down to
zero ao that you will need to add additional nitrates. Since yours are not,
there must be another limiting factor. I think the obvious answer is CO2.
With 160W over a 55 gallon you really need to add CO2.

You did not mention of you were adding CO2, but if you are, then look to some
other limiting factor to plant growth. Are you dosing potassium? Do you have
a phosphate test kit? If your plants are not getting significant amounts of
either, they will not be able to utilize all the nitrates in your system and
thus the algae will take advantage of the excess.

N.Wise