Old 09-01-2004, 05:09 PM
K Barrett

Default Cymbidium Ruby

I asked a friend about this. He said that exactly what's been said here.
That way back at the dawn on time (1936) this plant Cym Ruby was used a lot
in hybridization, yet it had never been officially registered. So what then
is the orchid registrar going to do with all these hybrids? Throw out a
whole line of cymbidium breeding? Can't be done. So one can only register
it as "Parentage Unknown" and move on. Additionally he mentioned that some
Cymbidium hybridizers intentionally lied about their crosses. Jealously
protecting their hybrid lines. When people go back and try to re-create
these hybrids they can't match the originals. Caveat emptor. Or maybe I
should say: just one more orchid detail that we have to remember.

When Worlds Collide - Today there is a very popular white nobile-type
dendrobium called Den Emma or Den Emma White. Same sort of situation could
occur here. Den Emma Whites are a very popular plant in the pot plant
industry. Its originator, a huge conglomerate, never registered the name
Den Emma or Emmas White, why should they mess with something as stupid as
registration when the are only concerned with making money off a very nice
plant? But if someone used it extensively and for generations in their
hybridizing program, what would Julian Shaw (the orchid registrar) do? He
could protest, but eventually he'd have to recognize it as "Unknown" and
move on.

Yes. Its the downfall of Western Civilization as we know it and is a clarion
call that the Barbarians are at the Gates. With a capital 'T' and that
rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'Pool'.

K Barrett

"tom" wrote in message
m...

"Stuie" wrote in message
om...
Hi all
Anyone know anything about Cymbidium Ruby? Its real parents (guess?)
any history, a photo perhaps of the RHS clone?????
THANKS
STUART
Sydney Australia

The International Orchid Register