Old 30-01-2003, 01:59 AM
K Barrett

Default What is a Dendrobium?

Thanks for the site! I had been looking for that one again. I like his
break down for the different sections, and I refer to it - when I can find
it - whenever I need to figure out what dends belong where. (I now have it
bookmarked so I won't lose it again.)

Bulbos are now under attack by the taxonomic hounds of war. Lord knows where
all this will shake out. The last AOS Awards Quarterly had whole sections
with taxonomic synonyms awarded - now if that won't make your hair curl I
don't know what will. Den obtusisepalum is now Den chrysoptera and I have to
remember both names... arrgh. Drives me batty.

K Barrett

"solo_voyager" wrote in message
om...
I keep 3 den's that are also refered to as Dockrillias and also spend
a lot of time looking through much info on Dend's looking for more
species of interest to me. I am constantly running into references to
attempts to split off individual species and/or sections from the
Dendrobium Genus.

I am not any kind of an authority on the subject and do not have any
real interest in the naming or classifying wars. All I am interested
in is finding more orchids that apeal to me and will do reasonably
well in my growing conditions. With that said, the diversity of the
Dend genera will no doubt always cause squabbling over the proper
classifications of those grouped within this genus. Even when some
have been split off there always seems to be dissent and their proper
location is still in doubt, for me anyway. Take a look he

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/G.../Den-start.htm

The thoroughness of this sites listings may be disputable. I don't
know, but it never the less is formidable. The number of sections in
Dendrobium is staggering. It's almost as if they've used sections to
avoid reclassifying into separate genera. I'm suprised Bulbo's managed
to escape. I think they did. But then, I'm not sure.
My "feeling", for what it's worth, is that any reclassifying of
members of Dendrobium will take many years for it to finally gain
acceptance by a majority of those whose opinions really matter in
resolving this question.

I suppose this can be catagorized as the rantings of one that is
totally ignotrant of the subject. It would probably be right. But I
did get it said. I'm happy.
S V

"K Barrett" wrote in message

How widely accepted is Jones and Clements revision? Even the removal of

some
Dends into Dockrilla seems to be sort of unaccepted.

K Barrett

"Andrew" wrote in message
Does anyone subscribe to The Orchadian? With Jones and
Clements' recent revision of the genus Dendrobium does
anyone know which species are still Dendrobiums? Am I
correct in thinking the genus now contains only those
species formerly classed in the section Dendrobium ie nobile
and its relatives? Does anyone know if the revision has been
formally published yet?
Andrew