Old 12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Non-traditional forms {WAS: [IBC] good quote (non-bonsai, but related)}

Chris Cochrane wrote:

Craig Cowing noted on an IBC (bonsai club) thread today:
Today I emailed the president of the local arts society
to see if they would be interested in my doing an exhibit
of viewing stones. She responded that she would, and
added...

"They are art from the soul. Creation and seeing images
in nature is what I call a close encounter with God, and
only a artist's eye knows that."

What I hear Dani saying is that art is not just the crafting
of an object, but having the eye to see art in natural forms.

I've assumed its okay to cross-post this to the very quiet viewing stone
list, Craig.

Of course. I tried posting on the viewing stone list a while back and never knew
if it got to anyone.

From your article "Enclosed By Grace"
http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/enclosedbygrace.htm, you find ample opportunities
for seeing creation, spirit & allusion as well as art in natural forms. The
article expressed your son relating a bonsai to historical time (the USA's
War Between the States) as well as your relating bonsai to God's time. I
especially liked the William Paley analogy you referenced-- a found stone
suggesting its creator.

Paley's famous passage at the beginning of his book, "Natural Theology," about
finding a stone, which the finder assumes comes from nature, then finding a watch,
which suggests intentional design, is very famous. Right now I'm reading a book
by Richard Dawkins entitled "The Blind Watchmaker," (deriving his title from
Paley's watchmaker analogy) which argues that evolution does not necessarily
require intentional design--that with enough time (millions of years) living things
as they exist now could evolve through countless generations without any intent or
design. In other words, life as we know it is an accident. I can't accept that
myself, but of course others are entitled to their own views.

snip

Having fun with the non-traditional display (as in the Zymoglyphic Museum
shoeboxes!) or looking for alternatives to traditional suiseki display that
strives for artistic profundity (Mas's display) is worth exploration. We
can choose to embrace them or set them aside, but looking with hope for
understanding reveals willingness to grow ourselves. Perhaps it confirms
appreciation of conventions that focus our attention & respect.

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA U

Well, this exhibit will be pretty traditional, I guess. I looked at Mas' displays
at the site you suggested, and I won't be doing anything like that. Stones on
stands, mostly, with a handout describing the style, source, and any other
pertinent info on each stone. I will probably avoid smaller items that can fit in
pockets depending on the length of the exhibit and how well it will be policed.
The stones will probably be on tables, with a couple of larger ones on pedestals.
My bigger stones, which weigh upwards of 50-60 pounds will be safe I assume! I
don't know how many stones I will use yet since I don't know the size of the space.

I also don't think I'll use accent plants unless the exhibit is only for a few days
so that I don't have to worry about watering them, although I could use succulents
if I wish.

For Andy Rutledge's benefit ;0} this is also a way of testing the water for a
possible bonsai exhibit down the road. I don't have enough trees in show condition
to do an exhibit myself, but I can put on a pretty good display of viewing stones
without stretching it. My thought was to test the water for what might be
considered art in this particular venue, and the president of the arts society
seems open to seeing something natural as art. So, eventually I might be able to
put together an exhibit of bonsai sponsored by an arts society! Being as close as
I am to New York City, and knowing that this particular arts society has
connections to the Big Apple, such an exhibit could provoke an interesting
response. I could possibly talk some of the members of the Yama Ki Bonsai Society,
of which I'm a member, to put a couple of trees in an exhibit here. It's worth
looking into.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++