Old 12-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Non-traditional forms {WAS: [IBC] good quote (non-bonsai, but related)}

--- Craig Cowing wrote:
Chris Cochrane wrote:

Craig Cowing noted on an IBC (bonsai club) thread

today:
Today I emailed the president of the local arts

society
to see if they would be interested in my doing

an exhibit
of viewing stones. She responded that she

would, and
added...

"They are art from the soul. Creation and

seeing images
in nature is what I call a close encounter with

God, and
only a artist's eye knows that."

What I hear Dani saying is that art is not just

the crafting
of an object, but having the eye to see art in

natural forms.

I've assumed its okay to cross-post this to the

very quiet viewing stone
list, Craig.

Snipped part about whether stonse on stands are to be
considered art.

Andy Goldsworthy is a Scottish photographer wo gose
out, disrupts nature momentarily and photographs what
he has done (I really like the zen quality of his
work). He does work with stone. He does a bit more
than putting them on stands, but he is considered a
great artist. I think art is what your publicist
makes it, unfortunately.

So the art of Suiseki has many components; 1) the eye
to choose the stone, 2) the eye to make a compatable
stand, 3) and the poetry of placement for display.

To me this has multiple aspects of being art, even if
you pay someone else to collect the stone and make the
stand.

Kitsune Miko

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++