Old 18-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] New USDA map 2

Iris,

I understand how averages work. My point was that I think the
reclassification of the zones based on the warmer recorded

temperatures over
the last few years may not be wise. We don't really know if

this is a long
term trend, never to be reversed, or if it is merely a short

term
fluctuation in the climate. (Short term could be 20 or 30

years or more in
the geological sense.)

Well, since we're gowing trees NOW, we should have a zone system
that reflects the NOW. If things change -- in whatever
direction -- the zones can always be revised again. The USDA has
revised them several times already in their short life. And,
perhaps, hopefully, further research, can result in other
environmental conditions being factored in to make the system
truly useful.

My other point was that the new zone map seems to be pretty

loosely drawn,
lumping areas to the north of us into the same zone. Some of

these areas to
the north are known to get substantially colder than it does

here. I don't
know that the new map will really be doing many people any

favors by making
them think that they are in a higher zone than they may

actually be in.
Just because the new map tells you that you are now in a warmer

zone than
you were in according to the last map doesn't mean you should

rush out and
get those more tender trees you have always wanted to grow, you

should be
aware of the actual temperatures that you can expect in your

area.

All true. But then the map ALWAYS has been a general guide.
Many of us have microclimates that are considerably different
from the area norm. My farm, for instance, is always 4-10
degrees warmer in winter than the "official" Tallahassee
temperature site -- which is 20 miles south of me at the
tree-less, all-concrete airport -- which _should_ be warmer than
my woods and pasture. We also get an inch or two less rain in
the average year.

Note, too, that this map has NOT been released by the USDA yet.
That probably means there's still a bit of tweaking that needs
doing.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++