Old 18-01-2004, 06:14 PM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] New USDA map 2

My key question is how useful are averages with regard to plant survival in
the ground since that is how the USDA maps are generally used. If the
killing temperature is just below the average then the plant will be killed
by the extreme temperatures a bit less than half the time. I would think
that maps based upon the expected extreme every 10 - 20 years would be more
useful. The same can be said for heat index maps and data.

For bonsai such maps and related hardiness info must be used with caution
since our trees are in pots or very shallow ground planting and we take
extra precautions to protect them that are not feasible for a 10 m tall
tree. In fact the average lows may be more useful, particularly in the
warmer climates, since that would help let the grower know if it will get
cold enough cold climate trees to experience their needed dormancy most
years.

Averages (and the other associated statistics) are great when dealing with
group behavior. However, they are not that good when dealing with
individual behavior - Frankly, I don't care if my now dead specimen bonsai
would have survived most winters.

Marty

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++