Old 18-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] New USDA map 2

Averages (and the other associated statistics) are great when

dealing with
group behavior. However, they are not that good when dealing

with
individual behavior - Frankly, I don't care if my now dead

specimen bonsai
would have survived most winters.

True. The maps are for _guidance_ though, not for day-to-day
bonsai (or plant) care. We use the maps to tell us whether a
given species will survive in our area, MAY survive with special
care, or will NOT survive. Plus, you have to take account of the
fact that you should subtract a zone for a plant in a pot (bonsai
or otherwise).

Unusual weather events (like in the Northeast now) aren't covered
by the UDSA climate zone maps. It is the responsibility of the
grower to keep his or her eye on the current and short-range
local weather forecasts and take appropriate action.

I think some folks -- especially those who are inexperienced with
growing things (ground or pots) -- put more faith in these maps
than was ever intended. But then, people who make bonsai their
introduction to growing things -- anywhere -- have bewildered me
for years. I started with radishes when I was 3. In pots, too.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - The ignorant
man marvels at the exceptional; the wise man marvels at the
common; the greatest wonder of all is the regularity of
nature. -- George Dana Bordman

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++