Old 19-01-2004, 02:30 AM
nikolay_kraltchev

Default Tank Cycling Strategy

Harry,

Andy has good points. It all depends on how you want to approach it
but adding any sort of material seeded with bacteria helps a lot (old
filter sponges, old gravel). You can also sprinkle bacteria culture
on the gravel when you are putting it in. Squeezing an old filter
sponge is the simplest way to do it.

Chuck's method of cycling a tank is very much foolproof. But you need
a lot of plants to do it. It also implies growing the plants untill
the tank is established and replacing them with other plants later -
something that I personally don't like. An option is to have bunches
of plants attached to the glass with suction cups, that way they can
be removed easily without disturbing the substrate.

If I was you and I had no access to an old substrate I'd get some Eco
Complete and use it as a top layer over whatever gravel you have.
Also I'd not use SAE's - they get too big for my taste and some of
them love to eat Java Moss and fine leaved plants. Otos are a better
option but it is true - they don't adapt well, plus you need at least
15 for a 55 gal tank. Amano shrimp are another option but you do need
a ton of those and they are sensitive to Ammonia which may peak for a
day or two even if you use partly bacteria seeded materials.

One last thing - make sure your CO2 is indeed 20 - 40, and that you
indeed have zero P or N. If the plants grow well you are doing good.

--Nikolay