Old 21-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Paliurus spina christi - Christ's thorn

I have found in the nature paliurus spina christi or Christ's
thorn,
dwarfish and natural bonsai.
I am asking for help, before extraction from nature, becouse I

don't
have any expirience with this plant. Any advice will be

appreciated.

I've never heard of this plant being used for bonsai, though it
probably is possible. It is a plant of fairly dry lands, which
means it PROBABLY has a sparse root system that spreads out for
some distance around (and under) the plant in its search for
moisture. Since this is likely, I'd try to dig it (in early
spring) with as large a rootball as you can lift from the ground
and then establish it (undisturbed) in a shallow growing box that
is half again as wide as the rootball.

If you keep the soil moist (but NOT wet) thereafter, you should
encourage more roots to form nearer to the center of the tree so
when you lift it again in a year or two you may find more root to
work with.

Watch for the spines! The picture I have of this plant shows
them as being wicked.

I hope this helps. I doubt that many of us have experience with
this plant.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++