Old 21-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Paliurus spina christi - Christ's thorn

I have found in the nature paliurus spina christi or Christ's thorn,
dwarfish and natural bonsai.

I found it in the "Dictionary of Weeds", which suggests it is easy to care for. The entry indicated that it was tolerant of arid conditions, which is a good property for a bonsai, although it may have a deep or spreading root system which will make it dif
ficult to transplant. You may want to cut the roots one year, and remove the plant the next.

It is in the Rhamnaceae. I had a Rhamnus bonsai which did OK but which did not heal pruning cuts very well. And then one day it suddenly died.

Nina Shishkoff

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mark Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++