Old 23-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Wrench

Default Why does store bought spinach include so much mud

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:56:02 +0200, Nick Apostolakis
wrote:

My wife buys sealed bags of fresh spinach at the store. We have it all
the time. It always looks clean enough to eat right out of the bag.
I've often noticed how clean it is and wondered if it might be grown
hydroponically.

if the bags are sealed then there is a high propability
that they wash them first (and perhaps process them in other ways too)

I work in a plant where we wash and bag fresh spinach. If it is
muddy in the fields when it is harvested the spinach comes in extremly
muddy. We send ours thru a double "log flume" type wash system before
spin drying and packing. And even then it still sometimes has a little
grit left in it.

Wrench