Old 23-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Light fixture and humidity!

Hello everyone!

I`m planning to get fluorescent fixture ( 4 feet long ) to put over my
shelving unit. Also, I would like to cover the shelving unit with
plastic to increase the humidity level.
Question: Should I be concern about humidity and electric fixture and
rust? I will add some fan to create an air movement but I `m concern
about the possibility of rusting ?

I've had the cheap shoplight fixtures with water actually dripping on
them (no, that isn't safe and I don't recommend it) last for years. I
use HID lights now, but the old shoplights lasted for at least 10 years
under 'orchid use' conditions. I gave them away, still functional, and
I presume they are still in use today. My humidity was probably not
above 50% for most of that time.

They might rust a little bit. It adds to the charm. It will take many
years before that becomes a functional problem.

Consider a 4 tube fixture. Costs about 30-40 dollars. Well worth the
investment, in my opinion. You will find them in the home center
disguised as ceiling fixtures. Who would want to use them for anything
but orchids? Some people are weird. *grin* Remove the translucent
plastic panel if it has one, you don't want anything between glass-bulb
and pseudobulb.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit