Old 29-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Daniel Joyce

Default White bugs in the potting medium

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:14:55 -0800, Guogang wrote:

Hi,

I saw some white bugs in the potting medium. They are very small
(barely visible), hide under the surface barks, move fast(when I
remove the surface barks, they rush to find a dark place to hide),
high quantity (I saw a few clusters of more than 10)

What could this be? How can I deal with it?

Thanks,
Guogang

Don't freak too much. Unless your Orchid appears to be weakening, or you
see these guys somehow eatting roots/etc, they are probably just mites
that live on the bark and organic potting matter. You'll see them if you
go out and grab a handful of mulch from nearly any yard. Mites are
everywhere, and unless they are the kind that eat living plant tissue, and
harmless, and are part of the normal diversity of soil.