Old 03-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Allan Risk

Default Ailing Phalaenopsis

Hmm ... I guess that's possible. ... though the potting mix I am using seems
to be extremely porous, and didn't seem to be retaining much moisture.
That's why I was watering more frequently. I'll take the plant out of the
pot and check out the roots.

BTW, to help the plant recover, do you think I should cut the existing
flower spike off? I wonder whether the plant is trying to put our more
energy to flower than it can really handle with it's compromised root
system.

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
My guess is too much water (=dead roots) and not enough humidity + dead
roots is causing the shriveling.

"Allan Risk" wrote in message
I have a small phalaneopsis that I received as a gift about a year ago.

It
bloomed nicely on a single flower spike last winter, and just before the
holidays, the spike branched in two places and produced some new flower
buds. However, the leaves are not looking very healthy ... they look
shriveled and are very limp. Also, the tip of the flower spike is

shriveling
a little as well. I water it regularly (daily in the dry winter

environment
of my house), and it sits on a dish of gravel and water, so it's getting
decent humidity.

I had to repot the plant in the late fall, because the pot it was in

broke.
There were a number of dead roots, which I trimmed away; there weren't a

lot
of new green healthy roots, but it seemed like there were enough to

support
the plant. I repotted it using a mix of fir bark and charcoal.

Any thoughts on what the source of the problem might be? I wondered

whether
the new potting mix is TOO porous, and not enough moisture is being

retained
for the rather underdeveloped root system?

Any suggestions would be welcome ...