Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Rod

Default Bay Tree Problem

peter123 wrote:

Hi,

I am having a great deal of difficulty in tracking down a problem with
my Bay Tree.

We originally had two Bay Trees, the first one died last year with this
problem and now it's spread to the other one.

These are the symptoms:

a. Sticky Leaves
b. Leaves go from normal green, to a light green and finally to a dried
up golden brown and fall off.
c. Occassionally the leaves go black at the tips

I have inspected all the leaves and there is no signs of any insects
big or small.

There is also no sign of any "soot".

Have you used a good hand lens?
Pot grown?
Indoors or out?

The sticky leaves are almost certainly the result of honeydew excreted by a
sucking pest. Scale insects are the usual suspects, aphids at this time of year
are unlikely outdoors, indoors they will be small and difficult to see, look
right inside the growing points. If it's indoors get it outside this spring and
keep it outside in a sheltered place.
Pests are probably not your only problem. What about watering/feeding,
especially critical if pot grown. A typical scenario is 'See plant looking
poorly - water it, A day or 2 later it looks worse - water it more - some days
later - it wasn't enough!? - put some feed in with the water............and so
it goes on - feed wasn't strong enough?! - double the dose...............dead
plant'
Like feeding a sick baby on gin and kippers. All this is worse if what is
essentially a hardy plant is grown in a pot indoors. I'm putting this as a
suggestion, not an accusation but you wouldn't be the first and you won't be
the last.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html