Old 02-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Sue

Default silver birch in a pot in a pot

Hello

We have recently been given a silver birch tree (betula pendula)...container
grown,about 4ft 6 ins tall.

Our garden has barely enough space for such a tree if we allowed it to reach
its full size so we are considering restricting its growth by growing it in
a slightly bigger pot than the one it came in, to restrict its roots.

Any comments please. Would this work? How do we stop the roots growing into
the soil via the drainage holes, how often should it be fed and can it be
pruned without spoiling its shape? Basically I suppose we are talking big
bonsai!

Thanks for any help,

Sue

---