Old 02-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default silver birch in a pot in a pot

In article ,
Martin Sykes wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message

We have recently been given a silver birch tree (betula

pendula)...container
grown,about 4ft 6 ins tall.

Our garden has barely enough space for such a tree if we allowed it to

reach
its full size so we are considering restricting its growth by growing it

in
a slightly bigger pot than the one it came in, to restrict its roots.

Any comments please. Would this work? How do we stop the roots growing

into
the soil via the drainage holes, how often should it be fed and can it be
pruned without spoiling its shape? Basically I suppose we are talking big
bonsai!

If you raise the pot on some of those little terracotta feet, it will let
the drainage holes work, and roots will be reluctant to grow through the air
down to the soil. Any that do can be easily cut off.

I can assure you that birch will NOT be reluctant to send its roots
down! It has the most invasive roots of any native tree, bar none,
which is impressive when you consider the problems caused by willows.

However, they can be cut off. Birch does not respond well to pruning,
and may not like being in a pot (I don't know). But it is a quick
growing tree, and it isn't unreasonable to grow one until it gets too
big and then cut it down. Try and avoid getting a tree preservation
order on it, though ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.