Old 03-02-2004, 12:18 AM
KD

Default New build house - garden waterlogging

"Peter Taylor" wrote in message
Keith wrote

Hi all,
Apologies for the X-post but the d.i.y guys always seem to know

what's
going on with regard to 'building' regs but the real domain of the

question
is my 'garden'. Basically, I've bought a new house up in Scotland and

the
garden is a bit of a nightmare. The slightest amount of rain results in
pools of standing water and the newly laid turf is apparently about to

start
rotting. Now a local landscaper has said that the problem can probably

be
rectified but I don't think it should be up to me to pay for this. The
landscaper also mentioned that standing water should be the developer's
consideration. How do you think I should approach this - should the
developer be sorting out the drainage or am I stuck with footing the

bill
for this myself ?

Thank for any guidance,
Keith

Nobody has mentioned NHBC yet. During the first two years from

completion,
assuming you have Buildmark cover and subject to certain exclusions, the

builder
is supposed to correct any defects free of charge. Your first point of

contact
is the builder but if there is a dispute or if the builder fails to act

then
NHBC Claims will take it on.

The Buildmark policy document http://www.nhbc.co.uk/pdf/policy1.pdf
expressly excludes "loss or damage resulting solely from flooding from

whatever
source or from a change in the water table level". However I would argue

your
problem is more to do with waterlogged soil and drainage than with

flooding.
The NHBC Standards require developers to carry out a thorough site

investigation
before commencing on specific design work, and particularly warns about

adequate
drainage to cope with waterlogged soil.

This is the URL concerning making NHBC Claims
http://www.nhbc.co.uk/index3.asp?pag...teps&col=green

Good luck
Peter

Hi Peter,
I look at the NHBC as kind of the last resort. I am chiefly trying to
find out how much of an argument I'm likely to get with the developer about
this before having to approach the NHBC. Thanks for the info though.

Cheers,
Keith