Old 06-02-2004, 02:34 AM
JD

Default Timber for raised vegetable bed

Jason,

I build raised beds all the time for my customers.

Best way to build is to buy untreated landscape timbers (available at Lowes
in Cary). I used landscaping spikes (which are huge nails, also available
at Lowes) to fasten them to each other when building a wall. Once the
wall(s) have been built, I then line the interior of the sides with
landscaping fabric (a.k.a. Weed Block) and tack to the wood using roofing
nails. Then I fill with quality topsoil, blend in some organic humus, as
well as some high quality potting soil.

Makes a good raised bed for vegetables, and allows for water to drain away,
without washing out of soil.

Good Luck.
"Jason Jones" wrote in message
. com...
I'm looking for local timber for making a raised bed for vegetables.
Treated wood is out of the question.

Cedar is good I'm told but its only available in 3/4 inch think boards.

Any suggestions?

Jason