Old 08-02-2004, 04:02 AM
zxcvbob

Default Mantis Tiller

ruth todd wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a Mantis Tiller to make gardening a little easier,
has anyone got one of these? I would be very grateful for any comments good
or bad, that you could pass on to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ruth

I have one. It's horrible. The engine is supposedly the same as an Echo
trimmer or chain saw, but I have no problems with my Echo chain saws or
trimmer. The Mantis has been almost impossible to start since about 2
years after I bought it. I had it in the shop a couple of years ago and
they put on a new carburator, and that helped for a few months.

Buy a Honda, or some cheap Chinese knock-off tiller. Don't buy a Mantis
unless you intend to sell it after at the end of the first season you use
it -- before it quits working. You pay a premium for the Mantis, but it's
a crappy machine.

BTW, the Mantis does a good job if you can get it started and keep it
running, and if you have sandy soil. They don't work all that well in clay.

Best regards,
Bob