Old 12-02-2004, 03:38 AM
Daniel Prince

Default Solarizing the soil

I am attempting to solarizing the soil in one of my garden plots because
last year all my tomatoes had nematodes. I am using the instructions in
the "Sunset Western Garden Problem Solver" except that I am using 6 mil
plastic because that is what my brother bought.

I put the remote probe from a digital thermometer on the soil surface in
the middle of the 4 foot by 20 foot bed and so far the highest
temperature I have gotten was 112 degrees F. Is that hot enough to kill
nematodes? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,