Old 13-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Squirrals, eating plants and bird seed

Snooze wrote:

Simplest solution is to place the suet and bird feeder in a location the
squirrels can't get to easily. Such as on a metal pole located at 6ft away
from any trees or fences. Others have had luck putting chili powder in the
bird feed.

Be prepared, though, for the squirrels to learn to climb the pole.
*sigh* I use "shepherd's crooks" to hang my feeders and despite how
thin the pole is they still climb it. Squirrels are *very* resoucreful
in this matter.

However, the chili powder in the bird seed does work and does not harm
the birds. Birds have no receptors for capsacin (the stuff in chilis
that make them hot) so they don't even notice it. The squirrels, otoh,
are fun to watch the first itme they get a good bite of it.

FYI, the s.o. is a medical researcher/scientist. When I first related
my hearing about birds not having capsacin receptors, the s.o.
immediately started to research it and found that research does support
this.

If you haven't figured out by now, people seem to fall into two camps
when it comes to squirrels - those that believe they're cute, furry
critters fun to watch and those who believe they're rodents with fluffy
tails. I fall into the latter camp and would prefer that they stay far
away from my house. I have no further desire to deal with squirrels
nesting in my house then I do any other rodent.

Susan
shsimko[at]duke[dot]edu