Old 13-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Ka30P

Default Adding "other" critters to my pond?

ppdavid wrote I am interested in adding some critters to my pond to add some
additional
interest.

Turtles and frogs will come and go as their interests dictate. Frogs to breed,
bullfrogs to eat fish and turtles to move in.
You can make it an attractive place for them
to want to stay.

Lots of plants around the pond will help frogs and turtles feel safe and
protected. Isolated rocks and a floating log will give them a safe place to
bask in the sun and feel relatively safe from being snuck up on.
Lots of food :-)
Frogs and toads like lots of insects, slugs and worms. Insects are attracted
to flowering plants, water and not tidied up area. Bullfrogs like lots of
fish, which canoodling rosie reds or goldfish will provide for them. Turtles,
depending on the species, like small fish, snails, aquatic plants like water
hyacinth and a few offerings of fruit. You can also offer turtle chow to any
turtles that show up.

A possible no-no turtle, especially if you wade in your pond, is the snapping
turtle. Many people don't even know that a snapper has moved in until they
notice water lily pads floating around that have been severed at the base.

kathy :-)