Old 14-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

Hi Everybody,

I have experienced a caterpillar attack on my broccoli
and then similar-appearing damage to my cauliflower.

The broccoli was an obvious victim, since I caught them
in the act, swarming on the head of a couple of plants
one morning. The cauliflower have recieved lots of
holes in the the leaves, just like a previous symptom
on the broccoli. And I also found a bunch of apparant
larvae on one of the cauliflower leaves.

However, other vegetables in the same area were left
alone.

Is this just a coincidence? Just a random, one-time
distribution of the caterpillar population? Or does
this indicate some dietary preference?

This specific gang of perpetrators are each about a
centemetre or so long, neon-green, and walk with a sort
of "inch-worm" type wave through their body (but the
legs are obvious.) I think the butterfly version is a
small, white variety.

Comments? Thanks.

-V.

--