Old 14-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Steve

Default Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:
Hi Everybody,

I have experienced a caterpillar attack on my broccoli
and then similar-appearing damage to my cauliflower.
However, other vegetables in the same area were left
alone.

Is this just a coincidence?...............................

This specific gang of perpetrators are each about a
centemetre or so long, neon-green, and walk with a sort
of "inch-worm" type wave through their body (but the
legs are obvious.) I think the butterfly version is a
small, white variety.

Comments?..............

Well, the inch worm description makes it sound like a cabbage
looper. The neon-green and white butterfly parts make it sound like
cabbage worms. Maybe you hit the jack pot and have both. ;-)

Cabbage worms can be hard to spot when they are small. They tend to
just lay there next to a leaf vein or leaf edge and blend in. With
either caterpillar, it's no coincidence that they only go for the
cauliflower and broccoli. Those plants, and other plants in the
cabbage family are all they want to eat.

As one or more than one person has said, BT is the best cure for any
of these caterpillars. I've had very good results results with
products like Dipel that are a powder that you mix with water and
spray on. I once needed some new BT and could only find the kind
that comes in a shaker can to be sifted right onto the plant. For
what ever reason, that didn't work at all.

Steve in the Adirondacks
PS I see this is going to 3 newsgroups and I only read R.G.E so I
don't know wow much information I am repeating.