Old 14-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Don Bruder

Default Caterpillars Targeting Broccoli And Cauliflower?

In article ,
Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I have experienced a caterpillar attack on my broccoli
and then similar-appearing damage to my cauliflower.

Is this just a coincidence? Just a random, one-time
distribution of the caterpillar population? Or does
this indicate some dietary preference?

Serious dietary preference.

This specific gang of perpetrators are each about a
centemetre or so long, neon-green, and walk with a sort
of "inch-worm" type wave through their body (but the
legs are obvious.) I think the butterfly version is a
small, white variety.

Comments? Thanks.

-V.

Sounds like a perfect description of Cabbage Loopers. As the name
implies, cabbage is their preferred food, but Broccoli, Cauliflower, and
Brussel Sprouts (possibly Endive and Chard as well, but we never grew
those at home, so I don't know first-hand) are close enough relatives
that they'll attack them, too, especially if there's no actual cabbage
in your garden patch. Pretty much anything else is immune to all but the
most minor "trial nibbles" from these little beasties.

Only thing I know to do for them is Sevin dust, although I've heard some
folks claim that a concoction called "Safer's Soap" can be useful.

--
Don Bruder - --- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
Hate SPAM? See