Old 15-02-2004, 03:42 AM
Ann

Default Re Walled gardens

"David Hill" expounded:

It was the Normans who brought Rabbits to Britain after the battle of
Hastings .1066 and in those days and for a long time to follow they were
kept in artificial warrens, and were looked after people who were known as
Warreners (Hence the Surname) and were a food for the Lords and Ladies, but
gradually they escaped into the wild and by the 17th century were a pest
which got steadily worse.

I didn't know this, thank you for posting it! When I went on a garden
tour in England I was astounded by the number of rabbits I saw on one
sloping field....there were literally dozens of them dotting the hill.
Boy, I'd certainly hate to try to grow anything around there!!!

FWIW, Mike Gilmore posts to rec.gardens occasionally, he is the owner
of the website you posted,
http://www.winsfordwalledgarden.free...co.uk/Wall.htm . Wonderful
story he tells on those pages!
--