Old 15-02-2004, 07:24 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Better Rabbit trap for those with rabbit problems

I have young trees and every winter the rabbits manage to harm many of
those trees, especially fir and cherry. Funny how they never bother to
eat currants.

In the summertime I use a high powered BB rifle. Which works great
because the rabbits think nothing is going on and do not run whilst I
pump up the rifle for the next shot. Trouble with a BB is that it
takes about 10 penetrations to put the rabbit down. Some days I would
shot about 3 or 4 rabbits via BB. I hate other rifles because of the
*lead* that ends up in the soil. So I use only BB. I wish the
manufacturers would make a Copper Pellet rifle instead of Lead Pellet.

In the recent snowstorm I have figured out a way of clearing out
perhaps 1/2 or more of the rabbit population all in one fell swoop. I
notice that the rabbits dig themselves out of the snow with 2 tunnel
entrances. I notice that some rabbits have made concrete blocks with
their holes as a home.

Years ago I noticed that rabbits in winter in heavy snow love to eat
elm bark from limbs sawed down in winter. So I used elm limbs as bait
and at night time would shot rabbits with BBs eating at the elm bark
bait.

New Trap: what I plan to do is to get out a 8 foot section of that
drain pipe whose diameter is just able to fit into a concrete block
hole where some rabbits have made their home. So I block off the one
end and I stuff the other end with this drain pipe and I thence force
the rabbit to begin to enter into the plastic drain pipe which I have
a wire in the end to prevent the rabbit from escaping. So as the
rabbit begins to enter the plastic it is unable to turnaround.

So, what I do to get the rabbit population under a decent control is
to find where they have made a home, and look for the 2 entrances
borroughed out of the snow. Stick the plastic pipe into one end and
run a wire into the other forcing the rabbit to enter the pipe.

I have not tested the above yet, but am anxious to test it out today.
Will report back as to success or progress or setbacks.

If it works well, then next summer I plan to take about 5 block
whereever I see a rabbit scamper off and align them for the rabbit to
make those blocks its home and one day when I see a rabbit make it a
home I will get out the plastic pipe and capture the rabbit. It sure
will beat the time spent on BB hunting them.

Archimedes Plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies