Old 15-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default A Gift of Orchids

so how'd u do it (bring him into the cult)?

Jerry,

It's a bit complicated. He and I are both "take charge" people, a situation
that we have learned to live with, compromising from time to time.

A while back, he decided that he especially loved the Vandas, and since I
had so much to do he basically took over their care, watering every day and
feeding twice weekly. I caught him trying to sneak extra water to the other
orchids, though, and I couldn't convince him that it was a bad idea. So I
started talking up the classes at Odom's, which he knew I had enjoyed
several years ago, and one day he decided it would be a good idea to go
himself. (What a great idea he had!!)

That class is hands on, and you can purchase anything you pot for about ten
bucks. He bought every one, and then some, as plants on the display table
cought his eye - all "for me", of course. Ahem.

After that, he would help me repot, still saying it was "my hobby", but
started making "suggestions" as to potting media, etc. He decided that "I"
needed more room, so we added on to the lanai. He built benches and rods,
etc, and a potting bench "for me".

Then, he started coming with me when I set up displays at shows (to help me
carry stuff, of course). And maybe just offering some teeny little
suggestions here and there. And then helping dismantle the displays when
the shows were over. To "help me", naturally.

Notice the pattern: as things progressed, I let my take charge
guy......well, take charge.

Then I talked him into taking the Odom's class again, and he was cooked.
LOL

Diana